Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Bake Cookies in Your Car!!



Why Does My Car Smell Like Cookies?
~ Brittany Nunn ~
In 1953, there were 26 days that reached 100 degrees, and today Amarillo beat that record with 27 triple-digit days in 2011!
…Hooray?
And might I add, there’s still plenty of time left in the year for a few more of those excessively hot days. Oh joy.
After a failed ice cube melting experiment, a co-worker and I decided we needed a rematch with the heat to celebrate the landmark occasion.
Rumor has it you can bake cookies by leaving them in a hot car for two or three hours. Naturally, we couldn’t take this information at face value – we had to investigate! And when I was told the “experiment” would make my car smell like cookies for a month, how could I turn it down?
Fully equipped with baking sheets, non-stick cooking spray, and a tub of easy bake cookie dough, we hit the pavement. The chocolate chunks in the cookie dough began to melt in the sun before I even got them in the car, and I suffered through third degree burns on my fingers from the scorching hot cooking sheets – all for the sake of journalistic integrity, of course.
A temperature gun showed the inside of the car was a whopping 190 degrees, so at 2:30 p.m. we placed the cookie sheets in the back of the pre-heated “oven.” Now all we had to do was wait.
At 3:00 we checked on the cookies through the back window. They were looking a little greasy. I was feeling skeptical about the desired outcome and envisioning salmonella poisoning in my near future. At 3:30 the cookies looked a little flakier, but still nothing close to baked.
At 4:00 they looked a little more promising. We had no idea how long the cookies needed to bake, so we decided to give them another 30 minutes to brown to perfection. At 4:30 the pressure was on. They’d been baking in the backseat for a full two hours.
By this time, the whole newsroom had heard about our shenanigans and was curious about the outcome. We had no idea what we would find but were hoping for the best. We approached the car and peered doubtfully through the back window.
I couldn’t believe my eyes! The cookies actually looked crispy!
With the aid of a towel, I pulled the closest cookie sheet out of the car and poked at a cookie.
It was hot…and firm! I scraped it off the sheet and – ow, it was really hot! – throwing all salmonella caution to the wind, broke off a piece and plopped it in my mouth. …It was good! Success!
I couldn’t believe it actually worked! And I must say, snacking on cookies is without a doubt the perfect way to celebrate the 27th day of triple-digit heat.
But now, as I sit here typing away in a pleasant sugar-induced coma, there’s still one thing that’s weighing on my mind: if left in there long enough, can you burn cookies in the backseat of a car?

Great stuff!! I think I am going to try this sometime when it gets really hot….can’t wait! This is a project that I could sink my teeth into!!
----------------
Have any stories or interesting tidbits? Email me richmullercoach@gmail.com
If you are receiving this story through your email and want to read more stories on my blog, please go to my blog site  -  http//: soup-heart.blogspot.com/
Have any comments? Please leave them in the “comment” area below
Live. Laugh. Love

No comments:

Post a Comment